Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Beginning

WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!!

There are so many days that I say to myself, "Self, WOMAN, you should really start writing again. You should really find an outlet for all your thoughts that swim in that 'Alice in Wonderland' type mind of yours. WOMAN, Brianca, love, take control--write a blog", and thats exactly what I have done.

I am writing because I feel as though, mind you I FEEL, as though my experience is a unique one. That what I have done in the last year, should be shared and hopefully help others who are looking to change their lives as well. Because that is what I did. I gained courage, I had focus, (which was different from the usual Brianca), and I feel as though I tool control of the reigns of my life for once and guided them onto a path that will take me to the great heights of accomplishment and success that I have always dreamed of.

Let Us Begin:

"Lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to start, when you speak you being with A, B, C....."

The beginning was Dec.30, 2007. It wasnt a very solid year for me. It was one of agony, and in hindsight, great learning. Learning what NOT to do, was the lesson of 2007. I had a job that was, in the best of terms, trying. I felt as though WHO I was, was for some reason, threatening to those who it should have not been. But then again, I suppose we can all feel threatened by the unknown. Anyways, we were moving OUT of the BH, and into LA, and where o where would I find the perfect fit?! Tears were involved, frustration and hopelessness were my current companions and then came Niesha. Her add said something of the lots of storage space, garage parking, sitting area, WALK IN CLOSET--(which she was NOT lying about). And there that day, I fell in love with the most incredible roommate ever! She supported me, got me, listened to me, and most of all befriended me during those months that we lived together. The experience gave me hope and without it-I would not be here, in Cambridge, with Bootz at my feet, typing a blog on my laptop while still in bed.

FAST FORWARD TO JULY 2008!

I had applied, I had toiled for MONTHS over the essay that I was convinced would gain me entry into Emerson College and their graduate program of Integrated Marketing Communication. I WAS RIGHT! THAT, and I think all the positive thinking and "secret" putting out their into the universe. I would say, "if" I got in--and then immediately correct myself and say, "when" I got in. It was that easy. I knew, I felt, I prayed, that God would grant me this monumental change in my life and allow for everything to work itself out. And I thank Him on this day of rest, that he granted me this blessing. To be very independent and to change who and what I was for the better. On July 24th, or something like that, I received a letter, mind you I was in Smart and Final with my grandparents getting something for my mother, and Niesha, bless her, called to tell me that an envelope had arrived. Me, having a ahem, MINOR, attraction to drama, asked for her to open it and read it to me. I GOT IN!!!1 I. GOT. IN.!!!!! They wanted me to be a part of their prestigious program and I GOT IN!!! Mind you-- the WHOLE of Smart and Final knew that I got into graduate school, as I was squealing and yelling to anyone, including my grandparents, that I GOT IN!!!!

Now-- the hard part. Not over thinking, not freaking out, not getting too worked up that I literally had a month to get all my California affairs in order and move 3000 miles to an unknown city, into an unknown apartment, get an unknown job, and move with nothing but my clothes and Bootz my cat. Needless to say, it got done. Mostly because I was moving too fast to actually stop and think. I think if I had I would have gone with my natural inclination, and postponed for a semester.

I deconstructed my life. Everything that I had ever known, and gave MOST of it away to charity! This is including most of my clothes, shoes, and anything else that someone else would be able to use. The one loose end being my car.....

I got on a plane on August 31st. Erica, and Nikki, helped me bring over the last of my things, eat an In N Out burger, have a vanilla milkshake and got me on that plane. I will forever remember their love and that day. My grandmother stopped by the apartment like 3 times that afternoon. And I didnt realize that it was such a big deal. That it was such a move to make, to leave the life that you knew to come to a different world to DO YOU! Because when you are in it... you are in it, living it breathing it just going about your life not knowing how others see it.

I can say, without an air of conceit, that I did something to be proud of... I am putting myself through graduate school away from those that I love in a city that has sun, and such interesting people. I am missing out on life's events to be here and to pursue a dream that Im not even sure I have figured out yet....

That is all for now...

I think this is a strong beginning, and as such, can PROBABLY promise that my other posts will not be as long. But for those that choose to read this, for those that think I have something great to say, welcome. Welcome to the life of Brianca M.-- should be a good story :)

1 comment:

  1. You say "I am missing out on life's events to be here and to pursue a dream that Im not even sure I have figured out yet....", but in reality this is YOUR LIFE'S event and your ability to pursue YOUR dreams is awesomely breathtaking, as not everyone has the opportunity you have been given. Quit worrying about what anyone else is doing and focus on your pursuit of, your goals, dreams, and aspirations you have for your life! It's called living!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! Come back for more of my life! (giggle)