Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Color Purple

Last week Wednesday June 17th, I was lucky enough to be given some tickets to The Color Purple. I am ashamed to say that it was my first time seeing the production.. EVER!

I was a wonderful performance full of a cast that had several nominations of the roles that they performed for us. I thinkt that the combination of humor with singing, and dancing was an effective way of getting that story across. It was comforting to see that it was a packed house. There were people there of all different colors, generally just being able to appreciate great art when its performed.

I wouldnt say that I had a favorite... oh who am I kidding! PUSH THE BUTTON.....mostly because it was great fun and singing and dancing and had a great many of the cast involved with men shirtless and just--sigh... if only... MOVING ON....

Yes, given the chance I would see it again. As I know from inside information, getting the African American community of Boston to see this performance in the middle of a recession proved to be a difficult task when marketing. I know of NUMEROUS associations that did group nights as I am sure they were heavily discounted.

The Wang Theatre was something itself! Guady comes to mind when I walked in. I often love simply looking up when I enter such an established venue, but DAMN, overkill much?! There was gold dripping from every corner, naked dipictions holding grapes and somber faces staring at you as you moved forward, then-- like a shining beacon we caught the last few seconds of a quartet of singing gospel singers, whose voices rose above the commotion and into your heart, playing its strings while weidling tear producing powers. Their harmony was a joy, a clean, pierce into what you hoped you would get out of that night.

And I did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! Come back for more of my life! (giggle)